Developing professional learning opportunities and evaluations to advance ESSA and support LEAs
The Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) identified inconsistency in the educator evaluation process across local school systems possibly due to varying educator evaluation models, lack of inter-rater reliability, and insufficient training and resources. Given these challenges, MSDE noted that local school systems are less likely to utilize educator evaluation results to make data-driven decisions related to professional development, coaching, and human resources.
- Co-develop guidance documents and resources to promote consistent and accurate educator evaluation practices
- Plan and facilitate webinars and training sessions on educator evaluation for school and district leaders
- Consult on the communication of educator effectiveness data in school and district reports as required by the ESSA State Plan
ESSA Implementation Strategic Planning
Since the approval of its ESSA State Plan, the MSDE is turning its focus to implementation planning. The MSDE articulated a need for strategic, cross-agency collaboration to ensure that schools identified for Comprehensive or Targeted Support and Improvement receive the technical assistance they need to improve student outcomes.
- Facilitate inter-agency meetings to help staff balance the tasks, processes, and relationships needed to successfully implement the ESSA plan as a cross-functional team
- Assist with drawing strategic connections between actions required in the ESSA plan, current research, and the needs of the state’s identified schools